MOVING CHECKLIST AND TIPS
Moving from one home to another can be such a hassle and requires a lot of time and planning. Whether you are moving from a small condo to a bigger house, or vice versa , there is a lot of work that comes with the process of moving. However, the process can be made easier if one were to create a checklist to breakdown the tasks that need to be taken care of. Below you will find a few Tips that will guide you to a hassle-free move.
2 Months Before:
- Around two month before your moving day, start researching different moving companies using different resources as well as possibly asking a friend for recommendation. It is important that you choose the right company for your needs and to have that figured out prior to the moving day.
- When choosing a moving company, and if moving a lot of expensive items form you home, make sure to inquire about any extra insurance coverage for any damages that may occur during the moving process.
- In addition, you should start the packing process around 2 month before your moving day. Specially if moving from a big house to smaller one, it is essential for you to sort through cabinets, closets, drawers and cupboards in order to clear out the things you wont be taking with you to your new home. Once you have done that, you can either donate the items you don’t need or hold a yard sale.
- If moving from a small place to a bigger house, it is probably also a good idea to start shopping for any new furniture that you might need in advance so you can get the best deal rather than rush and buy last minute expensive items.
6 Weeks Before:
- A little bit over a month and a half before the moving day you should finalize any final details with your real estate agent and or rental agreement from your current landlord.
- If you have children and you are moving completely out of town, make sure to contact your children’s school and notify them of the move as well as contact a new school to enrol your children in; one that is closer to your new home.
- If you no longer think you can make it to your current family doctor, optometrist, or dentist, ask them to recommend one that is closer to your new home and transfer your medical records to them.
- Do not forget to contact your insurance company ( most car insurance prices differ based on the area of residence) and notify them of the move in order to establish whether there will be a change in your policy or not.
- Also, do not forgot to make a new insurance claim for your new home and make sure it starts from the day you get the key in case of any accidents that might damage your home.
1 Months Before:
- Purchase moving supplies and start the packing processes. If you have children, it is probably better to start with them first. Allow enough outfits to last them the rest of the month, but start packing toys and other things ahead of time.
- Once you start packing items into boxes, it is very important to label boxes in order to help make unpacking an easy process.
- Do not forget to contact all your utilities companies and inform them of the move in order to disconnect from your old house to your new house. Make sure to get your service end a few days after the move day from your current house and to start a few days before the move day in your new home.
- Also, do not forget to change your address on your bank accounts, driver license, heath card, passport and any other official documents.
- Make sure you gather all your important papers and place them in a dedicated suitcase or box that is separate from everything else.
1 Week Before:
- Start packing all the last minute items. If possible pack up all kitchen plates and use paper plates for that week.
- Make sure to complete a “change of address” at your post office and cancel any flyers, newspaper or magazine subscription that you may have.
- Have your payment arrangements ready for the moving day (whether it is in cash or cheques).
- If you have an infant or children who are too young to help in the move arrange for a babysitter or a family friend to take care of them on the day of the move.
- Call your moving company just to make sure you are both on the same page and that you have the right day and time.
Day of Move:
- Make sure you make a check list the night before just in case you forget something the day of, you can always refer to your list.
- When the movers arrive and start, make sure you are present when they make inventory and condition reports of your possessions. This will avoid any miscalculations and prevent discrepancy between you and the movers.
- Make sure to keep a copy of the reports with you and use it as a checklist once your items are delivered to your new home.
- Before leaving your current home, make sure our turn off any lights, close all doors, unplug any appliances, lock all windows.
- Take a final tour of your home and make sure that the moves haven’t left anything behind.
While moving can be such a hassle, it can also be a stress free process if you plan ahead. It is important to always plan ahead once you make the decision to move. Give yourself enough time to get everything done. Also make your self a check list to remind you incase you forget to do something. Making a list will ensure that you get everything done on time.
PRE -REGISTER NOW AS A VIP CLIENT. BY REGISTERING YOU WILL GET REAL ESTATE INFO, TIPS AND REAL ESTATE DEALS ,ALSO YOU WILL BE INFORMED FOR ALL UPCOMING NEW PROJECTS.
FOR ANY QUESTIONS, CALL SAM ELGOHARY 416-565-5925